HISTORY OF TORONTO GORE
Toronto Gore came into existence in 1818-1819 as a wedge shaped township in the County of Peel. The township was initially laid out in two sections; the North and South Divisions. Following WWII, Malton, which lay on the border of Toronto Township (now Mississauga) and the Gore's South Division, became a hub for the growing aeronautical industry. Subsequently, in 1952, the Gore lost its entire South Division when it was annexed by Toronto Township.
In 1973, Toronto Gore was amalgamated into the City of Brampton.
REMEMBERING THE PAST; EMBRACING THE FUTURE
In the early days of the township, travel was infrequent, slow and difficult. Eventually, over time, the initial blazed trails developed into roads. The first through roads were The Gore Road, the Sixth Line, and the Indian Line, now Highway 50. Early settlers contracted with the government of Upper Canada to construct the first part of The Gore Road as far north as Wildfield. The contract specified that no stumps taller that 2 feet should remain on the roadway! This road was completed in 1822.
Even then, the heavy clay soil of Toronto Gore made the roads impassable muddy messes during spring thaw. Efforts to construct plank roads were made. However, the plank roads built in the Gore were not economically successful because of high repair costs, lack of sufficient traffic to justify the tollgates, and competing demands for lumber as the population grew. The Indian Line plank road, originally planned to extend to Bolton, was only completed up to Countryside Drive. The Indian Line's planks were sold off in 1869. After that, all of the roads in Toronto Gore were maintained by statute labour with all able bodied men required to assist with roadwork.