McVean Drive (formerly the 8th line of Toronto Gore) was named in honour of Alexander McVean and his family. When he settled at Lot 7 on the 8th line, Alexander was the first permanent settler in Toronto Gore. Alexander was born in 1759 in Scotland. He trained as a surveyor and a civil engineer and then returned to work on his family's farm in Inverness Shire. He married a neighbour, Sarah Macdonell. After her death in 1818, Alexander emigrated along with his four sons and one daughter. He brought his surveying instruments along. He died in 1855 at the age of 95 after playing an important role in the township's development.
Alexander's son, John, who had been trained by his father, and another early settler, Elisha Lawrence, contracted with the government to construct a road, now known as The Gore Road, from the Indian Line to Wildfield. The road was completed in 1822. John and Elisha also built what is now Etobicoke's Rexdale Boulevard. It was originally called McVean's Road in honour of Alexander McVean.
Alexander McVean also built one of the first grist and sawmills in the area. The McVean Barn, shown to the right, is a designated heritage site. It was built in 1844. This unusual barn, designed specifically to facilitate the separation of wheat from its chaff using wind power, is located on the property of Claireville Conservation Area.